19 November 2021
BFG001: social network
Elements of a social network that is good for users rather than its operator.
- All identities are verified with legal documents. The network supports being an identity provider to third parties with fine-grained user control over what information gets released.
- There are no ads, the service is non-profit and funded by grants or subscription fees.
- The news feed is chronological and only shows posts from followed sources. It shows everything by default but can be filtered and configured by the user.
- Notifications can be filtered and configured by the user, and there is a sophisticated digest feature.
- Personal profiles are clearly distinguished from companies and public figures. The two categories have separate news feeds.
- There are no likes, reactions, or share buttons.
- Private groups and event pages are supported, but public groups and events are discouraged. For example, group and event organizers can only invite friends as members.
- The network facilitates encrypted messaging and group messaging.