19 November 2021
Ingredients for a good social network
- All identities are verified with legal documents. The network supports being an identity provider to third parties with fine-grained user control over what information gets released.
- There are no ads, the service is non-profit and funded by grants or subscription fees.
- The news feed is chronological and only shows posts from followed sources. It shows everything by default but can be filtered and configured by the user.
- Notifications can be filtered and configured by the user, and there is a sophisticated digest feature.
- Personal profiles are clearly distinguished from companies and public figures.
- There are no likes, reactions, or share buttons.
- The network facilitates encrypted messaging and group messaging. It also supports direct peer-to-peer communication.